Curse or blessing?

Submitted by aran on Wed, 11/01/2006 - 03:33

Prologue is up.

I manage to surprise myself no matter how much precautions I take.

Blame it on the characters.

Take the wizard student I planned to kill in the inferno of the forachid. She objected most emphatically, and has saved herself quite ingenuously.

This has wreaked havoc on several of my plans.

-12 hours

Submitted by aran on Tue, 10/31/2006 - 11:08

Wrote two more scenes. If I keep that average up, I'll be about two thirds of the way done, come midnight. Except I still need to sleep, if I don't want to start off the new month in a coma. So I acknowledge I will get at most half finished.

But at least I have a basic set-up for my plot, so I don't have to improvise anything that other scenes depend on. That's usually the killer - having to face inconsistencies or go back to edit.

44 scenes left to develop. 9 of them don't even exist yet.

-12 hours, 40 minutes.

Submitted by aran on Tue, 10/31/2006 - 10:24

I just finished coding a Java app my boss wanted, which I expected to need the whole day for. So there's still some hope.

On the other hand, I have 7 scenes left to put in and 47 scenes left to flesh out in detail for tonight's work. If I don't do that until midnight, I'll be - eventually - stuck in my plot.

Oh, and Riibu: Sorry for disappearing last night. I wanted to lie down for a few seconds, and returned to consciousness six hours later.

Book wordcount

Submitted by aran on Sun, 10/29/2006 - 09:57

Eureka.

I have now tweaked the wordcount module in such a way that it will actually display the total count of a book - including the children pages that are not displayed.

This uses a recursive function and, on large books, can slow the whole thing down (effectively, the whole book is loaded from the database). So I should add a caching table and a disabling option for this feature before I actually submit the module. But here on this site, the module is now functional.

Wordcount & Wiki

Submitted by aran on Fri, 10/27/2006 - 11:04

The site's getting there.

[h4]Wiki[/h4]

The MediaWiki was added yesterday. Dreamhost support assured me that their fancy directory remapping wouldn't work with MediaWiki because the remapped directories can only use an obsolete version of PHP. So instead I've made a subdomain, wiki.nanowrimo.ermarian.net. It's a bit log to type in, so I also made a redirect there from /wiki. This redirect will also work on article names like /wiki/The_Breaking.

My secret plan

Submitted by aran on Thu, 10/26/2006 - 10:43

My policy, for every year so far, has been to make up an excellent, surefire plan that will allow me to finish the 50,000 words in no time at all - preferably within the first week - and then go on to write another 200,000 words during lunch.

These plans, of course, are complete rubbish, and the scheme usually falls apart after the first chapter, which is as far as I thought out the plot.

In the first year, I just broke down and gave up when I hit that point.

Welcome!

Submitted by aran on Wed, 10/25/2006 - 10:57

This is the latest step in my annual search for the Absolutely Perfect Nanowrimo Writing Technology, Ever. Drupal.

A year ago, I used MediaWiki, in part because that was the CMS I was familiar with then, and in part because changes are far easier to track. It has disadvantages too, however - and Drupal is excellently suited for publishing structured content.

So the Drupal site will be the main place for the actual work in progress, while I'll use the MediaWiki I set up last year for taking notes, which benefits a lot from being able to track changes.

[hr]